Saturday, June 17, 2006

This isn't insignificant

14 june...
I'm sitting at my friends place. There are five of us. All of us are dead silent. Nobody speaks for 30 minutes. We've come here after a hiatus of 45 days. Have i become this shallow? I begin to question my conscience. How can impending exams be a justifiable excuse. One of us musters up all the courage and goes to my friends father to console him. His mother comes in and starts crying the instant she sees us.

flashback....
2 may
By brother comes running in and says something to my mom. All i hear is a loud "WHAT" from her. My friend has committed suicide. Its the "rope around the neck and dangle till you run outta breath" routine. It becomes a herculian task for me to hold a book in my hand. Inspite of this i dont go to his place. It's exam time and i cant concern myself with the trauma and anguish that this incident had brought. Why...maybe b'cos he wasn't that close a friend or maybe i'm just too apathetic.

I do make it a point to go when i'm done with my exams. For a normal guys it would be the very next day. For me takes 14 days. The days b'for this was spent in getting wasted and having a ball of a time. Its only when i go there do i realize the gravity of the situation. One of my friend is dead and thats a fact. And cliched as it may be nothing that i say is gonna change that fact.

I'm left with one question though...why do people commit suicide. No one knows why my friend took such a drastic step and i guess we'll ever know. He took all the answers along with him to the grave. Whats rionic about this whole deal is the amount of courage it requires to put a rope around your neck and hang yourself and the lack of it to contemplate such an act in the first place.

1 Comments:

Blogger DewdropDream said...

Your last lines really touched me. How ironic indeed, isn't it?

I lost my young neighbour when he had a fatal freak accident. His family was inconsolable and things have never been the same since... in the colony, no one really speaks to them as much anymore... death touches people in strange ways really. I hated feeling helpless to do anything for them, but I know it was the right thing to be there around them as much as I could. Going over therefore was something that needed to be done and am glad you're unlike so many others who avoid it because it's an uncomfortable experience to meet the bereaved.

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home